It’s the end of the summer season and if you’re like us, you have an abundance of tomatoes and cucumbers and other garden goodies to use up. Below I posted some simple yummy recipes we use. Hope you enjoy!
Homemade bruschetta and garlic toasts:
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped fine (do not use food processor)
- 1 small onion, chopped fine (do not use food processor)
- 5 basil leaves, chopped fine
- Salt, pepper, and oregano to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
Cut up all the ingredients and combine in large bowl. If your bruschetta is looking a little dry, don’t worry. Let the mixture sit for at least an hour before serving. Overnight is even better. The tomatoes will add all the juice you need.
- Loaf of Italian bread, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Garlic powder, paprika, and salt to taste
Lay the slices on a cookie sheet. Brush the slices of bread generously with olive oil, but not so much that they are sopping. Sprinkle garlic powder, paprika, and salt to taste. Bake at 400 degrees until golden, about 3-5 minutes.
Super easy tomato and cucumber salad:
- 7 large tomatoes
- 1-2 cucumbers depending on size
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
- Salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley to taste
Cut the tomatoes into chunks and put in bowl. Slice the cucumbers and onion thin and also put in bowl. The different shapes of the veggies create a really good texture and appearance. Pour the olive oil and vinegar over the salad and then add the spices. Again, if the salad is looking a little dry, remember that tomatoes are very moist and will create juice. Wait at least one hour to serve.
Both recipes, of course, may be tweaked according to what you like. I, for instance, love the tomato salad with a little more vinegar but some dislike the acidic taste. Both of these dishes too are super light and easy, and could accompany any main dish from BBQ to spaghetti and meatballs.
Francisco Tecson says
Hey there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the superb work!