I am a huge advocate of self-care. I think it is an important practice that everyone should take up in their lives, especially now during these very uncertain times. Self-care allows us to relax, refocus on what is truly important, and appreciate every day. Self-care is not always fun and can actually be painful. In fact, “good” self-care is often painful. What is sometimes best for us is not always what we want. Sure, junk food is more yummy than grilled chicken and sautéed kale, but what is truly better for us?
With that being said, sometimes self-care can also be making sure that we are at peace; that we are finding joy in everyday moments of life that make us feel good. Right now, this kind of self-care is extremely important. Yes, it is important to keep your agenda organized and eat right, but right now we just need little moment of happiness to get us through these days.
Below I listed 25 of my favorite ways to find joy in our current world. I would love to know how you, too, are finding joy in today’s world!
- Buy yourself flowers (Yes, you can buy yourself flowers!)
- Watch your favorite movie
- Bake something delicious (Have you tried my apple crisp recipe? It’s super easy.)
- Take a drive to the beach or through the country
- Start that new book you’ve been wanting to read
- Make yourself a cup of your favorite coffee (…and actually enjoy it before it gets cold)
- Take your dog for a walk
- Put on a face mask
- …and take a warm bubble bath!
- Listen to your favorite record
- Pour yourself a glass of your favorite wine
- Try a new recipe (Do you like shrimp scampi or chicken piccata?)
- Light a candle that reminds you of your favorite season or holiday
- Give yourself a pedicure and manicure
- Read a magazine that you enjoy
- Go for a run or long walk
- Have an indoor date-night with your partner
- Bake homemade bread
- Learn to make a new cocktail
- Re-arrange your bedroom furniture
- Add some essential oils to a diffuser and breathe deeply for a few minutes
- Stretch or take an online yoga class
- Have a FaceTime happy hour with your best friends
- Wake up and watch the sunrise